Greetings from New York, where I have arrived right in time for the UN High Level Dialogue on Migration and Development. So has my review essay on „Global migration governance without migrants? The nation-state bias in the emerging policies and literature on global migration governance“ which I have written for the new Oxford Journal „Migration Studies“. This link provides you free access to the article:
(at the time of posting it links you to the early access copy; later on it should link you to the final document, hopefully still freely accessible).
For this review essay I have worked my way through 5 edited volumes bringing together 64 articles on the governance of migration. Read on its own, each chapter is a valid and often important contribution to the field. But in way, here the sum is less than its parts: With every chapter I read, it became more and more obvious that a central actor is to a large degree absent throughout the contributions – the migrants themselves and their rights-based organisations.
Thus, the goal of this review essay is not to upset 60plus esteemed researchers but to highlight this glaring omission. As the coming week will demonstrate very clearly, migrants are not mere objects of but important actors within global migration governance.
If you find the time to read the review essay, I would be very much interested in any kind of feedback – maybe in person during the upcoming week or by writing a comment on this blog, sending me an email etc..
- 53,719 visits
Join 1,803 other subscribers
- Assessment and Outlook: #Migrant Civil Society and Global #Migration Governance after the 1st International Migration Review Forum and in the 2024 #GFMD process
- Chapter out now: “Multi-Level #Migrant Civil Society Activism in Southeast Asia” – Full handbook open access
- Out now: My book “Global Migration Governance from below” – discount available
- Out now: Special Issues on #Migration Politics across the World / Regions in Global Migration Governance
- Schedule of migrant civil society events during the #IMRF is taking shape #migration2022
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
© Stefan Rother and GFMD-BLOG 2010-2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Stefan Rother and GFMD-BLOG with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.