“I am not nostalgic for the times when we were distracted by what was happening at the parallel or at the anti-Forum”, Peter Sutherland remarked at the GFMD in Mauritius last week. Well, unlike the UN Special Representative for Migration I am – or rather: I was until today, when the World Social Forum on Migration (EWSFM) finally started in Manila. And to me this event highlights what was largely missing from this years’ GFMD: A more inclusive and participatory approach, and the willingness to think “out of the box” . While at the GFMD there was a constant reminder to be pragmatic – nothing wrong with that – the WSFM also provides the opportunity to question some fundamental issues and the neoliberal “framework” under which most labour Migration currently takes place. The keynote adress by Walden Bello was a great example for that approach – more on that upcoming. For now, here are some pictures from the opening rallye this morning 7.30 am- a great way to start the day!
- 47,372 visits
- Reportage from the first Youth Forum in Marrakech #Youth4Migration
- Mayors Mechanism will become part of the #GFMD this year – Thouez: “bolsters position of GFMD in supporting implementation of Global Compact #ForMigration “
- Interview: Bedeutung und Auswirkungen des #Migrationspakt – und wie geht es weiter?
- Auf gut Deutsch: Meine Beiträge zum #Migrationspakt
- Interview on the Marrakesh PGA: “Equality of Rights for Everyone, Everywhere”
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
© Stefan Rother and GFMD-BLOG 2010-2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Stefan Rother and GFMD-BLOG with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.